Tooth trauma can be scary, but you can help your child through it with a little knowledge.
Follow these steps if a tooth falls out:
- Stay calm. As you know, children look at their parents' reaction when they're scared. If you freak out, they freak out.
- Is the tooth a baby tooth or a permanent tooth? If it's a permanent tooth, rinse the tooth with water and put it back in the socket. If it's a baby tooth, leave the tooth out and seek help from your dentist.
- Grab some low fat milk. If you're not comfortable putting the permanent tooth in, rinse it with water and place it in a clean container with cold skim milk. Studies show lower fat content in the milk is preferable.
- Seek help from a dentist as soon as possible (within 30 to 60 minutes is best).
- Emergency on the weekend or after hours? Call us at (507) 258-3300 and leave a message. We'll call you back ASAP.
Accidents happen. Remember to stay calm and save some skim milk in the fridge, just in case. ;-)